Retired Military Dating Sites
Dating someone who fought for their country can be a wonderful experience, and you will likely find yourself and others in constant admiration of them. However, there’s no denying that it’s a very different experience from dating people from most other professions. This is to be expected, as anyone who has been in the military will tell you that it changed them, but that doesn’t make it less confusing.
These days, the best way to look for a partner, especially when you have specific criteria like profession in mind, is to use a dating website. We’ve put together a list of the top veteran dating sites, so the hard part is taken care of! All you need to do is set up a profile. Because dating a veteran can be a pretty unique experience, there are some things you should know before getting started on a dating site. We’ll let you know what to look out for, what to look forward to, and what they’ll be looking for from you.
Where to look for retired military singles
You can find people of any profession looking for serious or casual relationships, depending on what you want to find yourself, but you may notice that veterans on dating sites tend to be looking for a more significant relationship, based on an emotional connection and genuine friendship. There are a couple of primary reasons for this:
- The military lifestyle — whatever branch of the military they served in, all veterans were taught to focus completely on dedication to their duty and willingness to make sacrifices. This tends to make them into the type of people who commit entirely to anything they take part in, including relationships.
- Their past experiences — unfortunately, since people in the military must often be away from their partners for very long stretches of time, many of them have had their hearts broken. Some people start other relationships while their partner in the military is away, or they may simply realize that they don’t want to be in a long-distance relationship for most of their life. Regardless of the reason for it, these breakups can have lasting effects on veterans, and they may be hesitant to enter into a new relationship if they think you may break their heart someday, too.
Online dating for retired military
Veterans have the same motivations for resorting to online dating as anyone else, but there may be different things at the root of these motivations. They may find themselves lonely and untrusting of new relationships, partly due to the negative past experiences that many veterans have had with romance. Online dating offers a less intimidating way to put themselves “out there” again and look for a new partner.
Another benefit of online dating, especially on military-specific sites, is that they can expect those they match with to know what they’re getting into. Someone they find on those sites is either military themselves or looking specifically for a military or ex-military partner, so they won’t be surprised or put off by any of the things that come with those relationships. This means they are less likely to experience the disappointment of hitting it off with someone only to have the other person decide a relationship with a retired military man or woman isn’t worth it to them.
Benefits of dating a military retiree
Many people think of the challenges that come with dating a vetaran without considering the benefits. In fact, these benefits are numerous and make the challenges worth it, to the right partner.
- Commitment — if you want a serious, dedicated partner, you will find one in a veteran. They devote themselves completely to any project they take on, so if you start a relationship with one, they will give the same devotion to you.
- Stories — some are good, some are bad, but all are fascinating and completely unlike any civilian experiences. You will learn a lot from hearing their stories and, hopefully, come to love listening to them as much as they love telling them.
- Kindness — everyone values kindness, but it takes on a different meaning to those who have seen the evil and suffering that those in the military must experience. They have a greater understanding of the “big picture” and what really matters in life, so they know just how much it means to show compassion.
- Creativity — military folk are resourceful and organized. If you choose to build a life with one, you will find that they prepare for everything, including many things you’d never think of yourself.
How to make your profile appealing on retired military dating sites
You will have the best chances for success when building your profile on retired military dating sites if you are very clear about what you are looking for. Give them some idea of the relationship you have in mind in your bio, and use photos that are compatible with that idea. If you are looking for something casual, it’s best for them to know that right away. If you want something serious, make that clear and show yourself to be a serious person. Demonstrate your willingness to commit to things, both relationships and life projects in general. Just like potential employers who value candidates having a degree in any field because it shows long-term commitment, potential partners will be more likely to trust you with their heart if they don’t see you as a fickle, flighty person.
Finding a relationship with a retired military person and making it successful can be challenging, but it is rewarding for those who are willing to put in the effort. Use our list of recommended sites to get started easily, so that you can put all your effort into finding a match and establishing a connection with them.
How do I choose the best retired military dating site?
You should always check the reputation and reviews of a retired military dating site before deciding to entrust one with your love life. Some are very well-liked by users, while others are viewed as nothing more than a scam to get potential users to pay. Fortunately, you can trust all the sites on our list.
Is retired military dating exclusive to military personnel?
Sometimes, but not always. If you are not military or ex-military, it should be easy to check a site’s requirements to be sure before you begin to use one.
Are there any free retired military dating sites?
Yes! But be careful; some are free to make an account on but require you to pay even to view or send messages to other users.
Why is it difficult dating a veteran?
No one who has served can ever truly leave it behind, even after retiring. Not all veterans have PTSD, but some do, and those who do not have still been forced to deal with things you couldn’t imagine as a civilian. If you don’t appreciate this fact before you begin dating a veteran, it can come as a shock later on.
Why is dating a veteran better?
A veteran will be a lifelong partner for you if you want them to be. You will always be safe and loved, and you will likely come to have a new appreciation for the military and for life itself as a result of the relationship.